THURSDAY, MARCH 7, 2013
Here are some fun and interesting facts about Texas, even for non-Texans. Click here to print.
Love the sun?
- Sun City, Texas 78628
- Sunrise, Texas 76661
- Sunset, Texas 76270
- Sundown, Texas 79372
- Sunray, Texas 79086
- Sunny Side, Texas 77423
Want something to eat?
- Bacon, Texas 76301
- Noodle, Texas 79536
- Oatmeal, Texas 78605
- Turkey, Texas 79261
- Trout, Texas 75789
- Sugar Land, Texas 77479
- Salty, Texas 76567
- Rice, Texas 75155
- Pearland, Texas 77581
- Orange, Texas 77630
- And top it off with:
- Sweetwater, Texas 79556
Why travel to other cities? Texas has them all!
- Detroit, Texas 75436
- Cleveland, Texas 75436
- Colorado City, Texas 79512
- Denver City, Texas 79323
- Klondike, Texas 75448
- Pittsburg , Texas 75686
- Newark , Texas 76071
- Nevada, Texas 75173
- Memphis, Texas 79245
- Miami, Texas 79059
- Boston, Texas 75570
- Santa Fe, Texas 77517
- Tennessee Colony, Texas 75861
- Reno, Texas 75462
- Pasadena, Texas 77506
- Columbus, Texas 78934
- Just, Texas
- Pep, Texas 79353
- Smiley , Texas 78159
- Paradise, Texas 76073
- Rainbow, Texas 76077
- Sweet Home, Texas 77987
- Comfort , Texas 78013
- Friendship, Texas 76530
Feel like traveling outside the country?
- Athens , Texas 75751
- Canadian, Texas 79014
- China , Texas 77613
- Dublin , Texas 76446
- Egypt, Texas 77436
- Ireland, Texas 76538
- Italy, Texas 76538
- Turkey, Texas 79261
- London, Texas 76854
- New London, Texas 75682
- Paris, Texas 75460
- Palestine, Texas 75801
No need to travel to Washington DC
We even have a city named after our planet!
We have a city named after our state:
- Blanket , Texas 76432
- Winters, Texas 79567
Like to read about History?
- Santa Anna , Texas 76878
- Goliad , Texas 77963
- Alamo , Texas 78516
- Gun Barrel City , Texas 75156
- Robert Lee , Texas 76945
Need office supplies?
Want to go into outer space?
- Venus , Texas 76084
- Mars , Texas 79062
You guessed it, it's on the state line -
For the kids...
- Kermit, Texas 79745
- Elmo, Texas 75118
- Nemo, Texas 76070
- Tarzan, Texas 79783
- Winnie, Texas 77665
- Sylvester, Texas 79560
Other city names in Texas, to make you smile......
- Frognot, Texas 75424
- Bigfoot, Texas 78005
- Hogeye, Texas 75423
- Cactus, Texas 79013
- Notrees, Texas 79759
- Best, Texas 76932
- Veribest, Texas 76886
- Kickapoo, Texas 75763
- Dime Box, Texas 77853
- Old Dime Box, Texas 77853
- Telephone, Texas 75488
- Telegraph, Texas 76883
- Whiteface, Texas 79379
- Twitty, Texas 79079
- Krum Texas 76249
- Drop, Texas 75789
The Anti-Al Gore City
And our favorites...
- Cut and Shoot, Texas 77303
- Gun Barrel City , Texas 75147
- Ding Dong, Texas
- West, Texas (it's in Central Texas)
and, of course,
Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about folks from Texas
- If someone in a Lowe's store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Texas;
- If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Texas;
- If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Texas;
- If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of Dallas for the weekend, you may live in Texas;
- If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Texas;
- If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Texas;
- If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Texas;
- If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Texas;
- If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80, and everybody's passing you, you may live in Houston, Texas;
- If you find 60 degrees 'a little chilly,' you may live in Texas;
- If you actually understand these jokes, and share them with all your Texas friends, you definitely have lived in Texas.
Here are some little known, very interesting facts about Texas :
- Beaumont to El Paso : 742 miles
- Beaumont to Chicago : 770 miles
- El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
- World's first rodeo was in Pecos , July 4, 1883.
- The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water. Destroyed by Hurricane Ike - 2008!
- The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston , Texas .
- Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America .
- Arkansas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America 's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
- Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson.
- The worst natural disaster in US history was in 1900, caused by a hurricane in which over 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
- The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was " Houston ," but the Space Center was actually in Clear Lake City at the time.
- King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island.
- Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.
- Texas is the only state to enter the US by TREATY, (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union ) instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas Flag to fly at the same height as the US Flag, and Texas may choose to divide into 5 states.
- A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
- Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper.
- Texas has had six capital cities: Washington-on-the Brazos, Harrisburg , Galveston , Velasco, West Columbia, and Austin.
- The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the US which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington , DC (by 7 feet).
- The San Jacinto Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world and it is taller than the Washington Monument .
VERY IMPORTANT. . . (#21)
- The name ' Texas ' comes from the Hasini Indian word 'tejas' meaning "friends". Tejas is not Spanish for Texas .
- The State Mascot is the Armadillo. An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females.
- The first domed stadium in the US was the Astrodome in Houston .
Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Farlie , Texas:
(1) Just one God.
(2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
(3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
(4) Git yourself to church meeting.
(5) Put nothin' before God.
(6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
(7) No killin'.
(8) Watch yer mouth.
(9) Don't take what ain't yers.
(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff.
Y'all git all.
Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)
All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.